The City of Hastings is involved in a number of sustainability efforts throughout the organization. We have created partnerships in the community to increase sustainability efforts with residents and businesses.
Current Partnerships and Programs:
- Greenstep Cities: Minnesota Greenstep Cities is a voluntary challenge, assistance and recognition program to help cities achieve their sustainability and quality-of-life-goals. Hastings joined the Greenstep program in April of 2016 and quickly reached step 3 of 5. To see an overview of what the City has done visit the Hastings Greenstep Program
- Xcel Energy Partners in Energy: Partners in Energy provides communities in Minnesota free services to develop an energy action plan and assistance with implementing that plan. Each community has its own unique energy needs and priorities. To view the Hastings Energy Action Plan page, visit the Hastings Energy Action Plan page.
- Cities Charging Ahead: In 2018 Hastings joined a cohort that included representatives from 28 cities within Minnesota, Great Plains Institute, and Clean Energy Resource Teams to learn more about and share ideas about electric vehicle readiness. Find out more about Cities Charging Ahead
- Fleetcarma Study: In June of 2018, 20 of the City's fleet vehicles had a tracking device installed to monitor each vehicle's miles traveled, idle time, fuel consumption, and CO2 emissions. In January of 2019, the city was presented with an electric vehicle sustainability assessment that provided recommendations to replace current fleet vehicles with electric vehicles at a lower total cost of ownership. Learn more about Fleetcarma
- Minnesota GreenCorps Host Site: In late September of 2019, the City welcomed Lindsay Anderson with the Minnesota GreenCorps program. Hastings will be a host site for Lindsay over the next year; her focus will be on reducing waste, educating the community, and increasing recycling efforts. MN GreenCorps members serve in host organizations to assist communities and local governments with environmentally focused goals. Learn more about the MN GreenCorps program