What Licenses Does the City Issue?

The City of Hastings does not issue general “business licenses”.  Instead, the City regulates several business activities through the issuance of licenses.  All license application forms and information are available through the office of the City Clerk and many are available on this website.  Once application materials have been received and any applicable license fee and background investigation fees have been paid, the information is reviewed by City staff for compliance and completeness. 

Once all materials have been reviewed, the appropriate background investigations have been conducted, and the applicable fees have been paid, most applications will then be presented to the City Council for approval. Some licenses are issued administratively.




Licensing ordinance

Sidewalk Café Ordinance 90.16


Best Practices Program:

Best Practices Certification Form



Review of Ordinance Sign-Off Form

City Release of Information and Investigation Form

Workers Compensation Form


Adult Establishment or Accessory Adult Establishment License:

Adult Establishment or Accessory Adult Establishment Application Packet 


Block Party: 

Block Party Application and Provisions


Dog License:

License Term: August 1 to July 31 bi-annually or Lifetime
License Fee Bi-annual: $12.00 for spayed/neutered dog

$20.00 for non-spayed/neutered dog

License Fee Lifetime: $30.00 for spayed/neutered dog 
  $45.00 for non-spayed/neutered dog


Dog License Application



License Term: January 1-December 31
License Fee: $100.00/year


Fireworks Application Packet



To determine what Gambling License is required for your event or organization, please contact the State of Minnesota Gambling Control Board through their website: http://mn.gov/gcb/ or by calling their office at (651) 539-1900. The Gambling Control Board will provide you with the correct information and license forms.

After receiving the license form from the Gambling Control Board, it must be submitted to the City for approval. Gambling licenses must be approved by City Council, for that reason, please submit your application to the City as soon as possible. Gambling applications can be submitted to City Clerk Erica Henderson through email, ehenderson@hastingsmn.gov or by dropping it off at Hastings City Hall.

Liquor - On Sale, Off Sale, Temporary:

License Term: July 1 - June 30
License Fee: Varies, depends on type of license(s)


Liquor License Application Packet

Liquor License Renewal Packet 

Temporary Liquor License (State of Minnesota Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement) 

Other Forms - State of Minnesota Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Forms:

Certification of On-Sale

Certification of Off-Sale


Massage Therapist:

License Term: January 1-December 31
License Fee: $100.00/year


Massage Therapist Application Packet

Massage Therapist Renewal Packet


Massage Therapy Establishment:

License Term: January 1-December 31
License Fee: $100.00/ every third year


Massage Therapy Establishment Application Packet

Massage Therapy Establishment Renewal Packet


Mobile Food Unit:

Click here for Mobile Food Unit Application Packet

Downtown Parking Map

License Term:   1 Year or 1 Day
License Fee:  $225/year; $30/day



Outdoor Music-Tent-Street Closing:


Outdoor Music-Tent-Street Closing 


Pawn Brokers:

License Term: July 1-June 30
License Fee: $2,000/year plus investigation fee


Pawn Broker application packet

Pawn Broker renewal application packet


Side Walk Cafes:

Sidewalk Café - New

Sidewalk Café - Renewal


Solid Waste Collection - Commercial:

Commercial Solid Waste Collection Application

Commercial Solid Waste Collection Renewal Application


Solid Waste Collection - Residential:

The City of Hastings has a one-hauler system for residential solid waste collection.  All residential property 4 units or less must use the City’s current residential hauler. Effective January 1, 2013, the City’s exclusive residential hauler will be Tennis Sanitation. Specific questions can be directed to Tennis at 651-459-1887.


Special Events:

A license is required to host most events on public property. Special Events can be run/walks, concerts, fundraisers, etc. Consult the Special Event Policy for more information. Special Events are reviewed by City staff and approved by City Council. Special event applications should be submitted 60 days prior to the event for processing.

Special Event Policy

Special Event Application


Temporary Merchants-Peddlers-Solicitors-Transient Merchants: 

A license is generally required to go door-to-door or place-to-place selling merchandise, or to set up temporary operations.  Transient merchants are limited to operating from between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.

Investigation Fee: $25.00 (non-refundable) per establishment
One Day License: $30.00
Thirty-day License: $100.00
One Year License: $225.00
Tournaments (Vets Park) $100 per event & $100 damage deposit

Solicitors need only to fill out the application, all others please include the forms listed under "General License Forms" above.

Peddlers, Solicitors, Transient Merchant, Vendor Application

Please refer to the Application Checklist as a helpful tool in ensuring your application is complete before submitting



A license is required to sell tobacco and tobacco related paraphernalia. Generally, vending machines are prohibited.  Applicants are alerted that periodic compliance checks are conducted with penalties associated for failure.  

License Term:    July 1 - June 30

Tobacco License Application Packet

Tobacco License Renewal Application Packet


Exclusive Tobacco Store:

Exclusive Tobacco Store License Application Packet





Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer