The Hastings Fire Department would like to remind residents of common, but often forgotten grilling safety tips so that this season of grilling will be enjoyable for everyone:
- Check fuel hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
- Always keep propane containers upright.
- Never store a propane container in your home.
- Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided
- Do not store charcoal outdoors in the sunlight.
- If you do have a grease fire while grilling, close the cover of the grill, and shut off the gas if it can be done safely.
The City of Hastings has adopted an ordinance restricting the use and storage of barbecue grills in some multi family structures. This ordinance prohibits the use and storage of barbecues in any structure containing 3 or more dwelling (residential) units. In these occupancies there shall be no use or storage of barbecues, or open flame, on any balcony or patio, within 15 feet of the structure. For more information please see our ordinance: Establishment of restrictions on the use of barbecues.