The City budget is the financial plan for the City’s operating divisions for the coming year. The budget process involves matching projected revenues with the projected cost of providing basic City services. Services which are unable to be funded with other sources rely on the property tax levy for funding. Preparation of a City budget is mandated by state statute.
2020 Budget Process
- May 6, 2019 City Council Preliminary Budget Presentation
- May 13, 2019 City Council Workshop
- July 25, 2019 Finance Committee Meeting
- September 9, 2019 City Council Budget Presentation
2019 Adopted Budget
- December 3, 2018: Truth in Taxation Hearing (Public Meeting)
- 7 p.m., City Council Meeting, Community Room at City Hall
- December 17, 2018: Final passage of budget
- 7 p.m., City Council Meeting, Council Chambers at City Hall
- August 16, 2018: Preliminary Budget/Levy Presentation to Council
- August 2, 2018: Finance Committee Meetings with Departments Minutes
- June 18, 2018: Preliminary Budget Workshop
- May 14, 2018: Finance Committee Workshop Agenda and Minutes
Each year in November, homeowners receive a notice in the mail that outlines their proposed property tax for the coming year. The notice also lists dates for the budget hearings of the various taxing jurisdictions (county, city and other taxing districts) so property owners can participate in the process and have their questions answered.
The 2018 Truth in Taxation meeting for taxes payable in 2019 was held on December 3, 2018. Questions regarding the tax levy and budget can be sent to City Administrator, Melanie Mesko Lee.
- October 30, 2017: 2018 Budget and Levy Presentation
- August 21, 2017: Preliminary Budget/Levy Presentation to Council
- July 26, 2017: Preliminary Budget Requests per department
These are large documents and may take a minute to load.
The League of Minnesota Cities has prepared some educational resources to explain the various factors that impact taxes for property owners:
The following video, Special Delivery: City Services and Your Property Taxes is approximately seven minutes in length and provides background on the property tax process in an easy to understand, storytelling format.