Coronavirus Update 3/12/2020
Coronavirus Update March 12, 2020
Today, county and state officials confirmed that there is a presumptive case of COVID-19 in Dakota County. City officials listened in to the MN Department of Health daily briefing and discovered that there are currently 9 confirmed cases in Minnesota. Currently all cases are due to travel-related exposure or direct exposure to an infected person. There are no current cases of community spread. We continue to follow the information and guidance of the Dakota County Health Department, the Minnesota Department of Health, in additional to national organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Pandemic Response Plan
The City of Hastings has a Pandemic Response Plan prepared. We will enact the Pandemic Plan as needed based on information we receive from the Dakota County Health Department and the Minnesota Department of Health, in addition to national organizations such as WHO, HHS, and the CDC. Currently, no closures are recommended in our area, yet we are closely monitoring the situation and preparing for a possible need to arise.
The main objectives of the City’s Pandemic Response are:
- To minimize the health impact on our citizens and employees
- To provide uninterrupted essential city services such as: fire and rescue services, law enforcement, water and sewer operations, snow removal, maintaining critical equipment, emergency response, emergency communications, and finance
- To minimize the economic impact of a pandemic on our community
- To support the Dakota County Health Department and the MN Dept of Health in response to a pandemic
In order to meet the goals of the Pandemic Response Plan, our organization has been taking steps to prepare. Those steps include:
- Updating the Pandemic Response Plan
- Locating Personal Protective Equipment for our emergency personnel
- Increasing level of workplace cleaning
- Preparing staff technology for possible social distancing situations
- Communicating health safety information with employees
Should we have the need to enact the Pandemic Plan, information will be communicated to residents via the city’s website, Facebook and Twitter pages, and through our local media partners. We will also use our emergency messaging system as needed.
- To learn about and register for emergency alerts, or to update your account, go to www.hastingsmn.gov/alerts
- You may register to receive a text message, phone call, or email. Text messaging is strongly suggested so you don’t miss a call.
Do's and Don'ts
- DO follow reliable sources for information. We recommend the CDC, the WHO, the MN Dept of Health, and Dakota County Public Health updates.
- DON'T share random bits of information that may not be verified or may be click-bait
- DO follow CDC guidelines for keeping you and your family healthy
- DON'T travel, visit someone, or go to work if you are ill